Going Far Quickly
The Power Of Information
- p. 372 Because of the way the human brain works... easily by the average person.
- Daniel Coyle, The Talent Code, 2009: 49-50. See also David G. Myers, Exploring Psychology, 2004, Sixth Edition: 266, and NANPA, 2009, available at http://www.nationalnanpa.com/about_us/abt_nanp.html
- p. 372 But an infant at the age... most powerful computers
- Pawan Sinha, Benjamin Balas, Yuri Ostrovsky, and Richard Russell, “Face Recognition by Humans,” Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 94, No. 11, November 2006. Available at http://web.mit.edu/bcs/sinha/papers/19results_sinha_etal.pdf
- p. 374 The U.S. National Academy of Sciences... as a whole.
- Task Group on the Review of Scientific Aspects of the NASA Triana Mission, National Research Council, Review of Scientific Aspects of the NASA Triana Mission, 2000. Available at http://books.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=9789
- p. 374 As a result of the NAS study... the political system.
Discovery News, “Gore-Sat climate probe may get second chance,” April 2, 2009. Available at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30018554/
Stephen Clark, Spaceflight Now, “Mothballed Satellite Sits in Warehouse, Waits for New Life,” March 2, 2009. Available at http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/sfn-090302-dscovr-update.html
Dr. Francisco Valero, Solutions Summit, August 4, 2009.
- p. 379 Google Earth, for example... the surface of the earth.
- Google Earth, available at http://earth.google.com/
- p. 379 A new project... similar examples.
Project Vulcan, available at http://www.purdue.edu/eas/carbon/vulcan/index.php
Hestia, available at http://www.purdue.edu/climate/hestia/index.shtml
- p. 379 Supercomputers are now used as tools... associated optics.
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory, “Workshop on Computational Biology: Focus on Hydrogen, Biomass, and Nanoscience,” 2004. Available at http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy04osti/36724.pdf
- p. 380 The Central Intelligence Agency... open by scientists.
- Associated Content, “The CIA and Global Warming,” October 17, 2006. Available at http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/72279/the_cia_and_global_warming.html?cat=37
- p. 380 There are many examples... Hubble Telescope.”
- Linda Zall, Leon Fuerth, and Chris Clark, conversations with author, August 28, 2009.
- p. 381 Information that was once... linked to satellite systems.
- Ross S. Bricklemyer, Rick L. Lawrence, Perry R. Miller, and Norov Battogtokh, Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, January 2007, Vol. 118, Iss. 1-4: 201-210.
- p. 381 The Google PowerMeter... in real time.
- Google PowerMeter, available at http://www.google.org/powermeter/
- p. 381 Perhaps the most powerful... the energy needed.
- Richard C. Dorf, Systems, Controls, Embedded Systems, Energy, and Machines, 2006, Third Edition.
- p. 383 Industrial process automation... design and manufacturing.
- Harvard University Graduate School of Design, “Fabrication Laboratory.” Available at http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/inside/cadcam/whatis.htm
- p. 383 For example, in the United States... were empty.
- US Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, Office of Freight Management and Operations FAF Freight Traffic Analysis, June 27, 2007. Available at http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/freight_analysis/faf/faf2_reports/reports7/c3_payload.htm
- p. 383 UPS has saved... the other direction.
- Joel Lovell, “Left-Hand-Turn Elimination,: New York Times, December 9, 2007. Available at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/magazine/09left-handturn.html
- p. 383 Similarly, automatic light... hidden behind walls.
- US Department of Energy, “Energy-Saving Tips.” Available at http://www.energy.gov/energysavingtips.htm
- p. 383 Much larger savings... their profits as well.
- The Los Angeles Times, “Industry Leaders Endorse Hughes CFC Replacement,” January 23, 1992: A1.
- p. 385 New service providers... waste, wages, and profits.
Earth Times, “Hara Recognized as Leader in Carbon Management Software,” October 2, 2009. Available at http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/hara-recognized-as-leader-in-carbon-management-software,983729.shtml
Amit Chatterjee (Solutions Summit, August 4, 2009).
- p. 385 In many cases... used in the products.
- Alan Greenspan, Remarks at the 80th Anniversary Awards Dinner of the Conference Board, “Technological Advances and Productivity,” October 16, 1996. Available at http://www.federalreserve.gov/BOARDDOCS/SPEECHES/1996/19961016.htm
- p. 385 Even as they begin... contributing to global warming.
The McKinsey Quarterly, “How IT Can Cut Carbon Emissions,” October 2008. Available at http://www.mckinsey.com/clientservice/ccsi/pdf/how_it_can_cut_carbon_missions.pdf
The McKinsey Quarterly, “Data Centers: How to Cut Carbon Emissions and Costs,” November 2008. Available at http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Data_centers_How_to_cut_carbon_emissions_and_costs_2255
- p. 385 For example, the federal regulatory... mandates wastefulness.
- David Palecek, conversation with author.
- p. 386 In other forms of agricultural... the same fields.
- See, for example, Geotimes, “Satellite Precision Farming,” August 2001. Available at http://www.agiweb.org/geotimes/aug01/Satellite_precision.html
- p. 388 I have now trained... a regular basis.
- For more information, see The Climate Project. Available at http://www.theclimateproject.org/
- p. 388 The Alliance for Climate Protection... the needed solutions.
- For more information, see The Alliance for Climate Protection. Available at http://www.climateprotect.org/
- p. 388 Paul Hawken... groups rely on.
- Paul Hawken, Blessed Unrest: How the Largest Movement in the World Came Into Being and Why No One Saw It Coming, 2007: 2-4.
- p. 388 Similarly, after U.S. laws were modified... public awareness.
- US Environmental Protection Agency, Toxics Release Inventory Program, 2009. Available at http://www.epa.gov/tri/index.htm
- p. 388 This same principle... consumption levels.
- Wired, “Desktop Orb Could Reform Energy Hogs,” July 24, 2007. Available at http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/15-08/st_thompson
- p. 389 such meters are set to be required equipment in the United Kingdom by 2020
- Adam Vaughan, "Smart energy meters in every UK home by 2020," The Guardian, May 11, 2009. Available at http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/may/11/smart-meters-energy-efficiency.
- p. 389 distributed 120 of the orbs
- Clive Thompson, "Desktop Orb Could Reform Energy Hogs," Wired, August 2007. Available at http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/15-08/st_thompson.
- p. 389 365,000 metric tons per year
- Southern California Edison, Southern California Edison Backgrounder, last accessed October 30, 2009. Available at http://www.edison.com/files/VMC_BGSmartConnect091009.pdf.
- p. 389 Customers in a smart meter pilot in California reduced
- Max Hogg, "Do smart meters actually save energy?", Financial Times, ft.com/energysource, May 11, 2009. Available at http://blogs.ft.com/energy-source/2009/05/11/do-smart-meters-actually-save-energy.
- p. 389 Similar tests in Ireland and Illinois show energy savings
Max Hogg, "Do smart meters actually save energy?", Financial Times, ft.com/energysource, May 11, 2009. Available at http://blogs.ft.com/energy-source/2009/05/11/do-smart-meters-actually-save-energy.
Associated Press, "'Smart' power meters herald future of our electricity use," May 5, 2008, last access October 30, 2009. Available at http://www.kcby.com/news/tech/18577924.html.
- p. 391 One of the local government.... in many other cities.
“Jack Maple, 48, a Designer of City Crime Control Strategies,” The New York Times, August 6, 2001. Available at http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/06/nyregion/jack-maple-48-a-designer-of-city-crime-control-strategies.html
See also Government Technology, “Jack Maple: Betting on Intelligence,” April 1, 1999. Available at http://www.govtech.com/gt/94865
- p. 391 One of the most advanced systems... problem prevention.”
- James Bueermann, Mapping Out Crime: Highlights in Crime Mapping and Data-Driven Management, “Redlands: A Holistic Approach to Policing,” July 12, 1999. Available at http://govinfo.library.unt.edu/npr/library/papers/bkgrd/crimemap/section5.html#Redlands
Pick A Chapter
Our Sources Of Energy
- Where Our Energy Comes From and Where It Goes
- Electricity From The Sun
- Harvesting the Wind
- Soaking Up Geothermal Energy
- Growing Fuel
- Carbon Capture and Sequestration
- The Nuclear Option